Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Somewhere

There's a place for us
Somewhere a place for us


I was playing through this song on the piano tonight, and I realized while it may have been written about race relations for West Side Story, it is a good analogy for the CF world, both within the CF community and it's relations to the greater world.

There's a place for us,
Somewhere a place for us.
Peace and quiet and open air,
wait for us,
somewhere


Someday, in our world where there is a cure, where we will no longer be separated by our disease. CF isolates both the person from being part of the "normal" world, but in a cruel twist, CF also isolates from itself. Because of the unique bacteria we carry, cross infection is a great worry. While my childhood was spent going to CF camp, now CF people are not supposed to get within 3 ft of each other. Personal contact is discouraged, leaving each patient isolated on their own island. Imagine having our own safe place... no loud coughing, no loud machines, free breathing.

There's a time for us,
Someday a time for us.
Time together with time to spare,
time to learn,
time to share.


In the world of cure we don't have to worry anymore about running out of time. Don't have to cram in living while you still have the breath. As much time with those that we love as possible. But we also know the lessons of living life, enjoying, cherishing. We teach, we share this with the world. The joy of life, freedom, air.

Someday, somewhere,
We'll find a new way of living,
We'll find a way of forgiving,
somewhere.


A life not determined by med schedules. A life where we no longer get stared at by people when we have loud coughing fits. But also the ability to forgive those that didn't understand us... those that gave us the strange looks. That hurt us. Because everyone has their own ailments.

There's a place for us,
A time and place for us.
Hold my hand and we're halfway there,
Hold my hand and I'll take you there,
Somehow, someday, somewhere.


I don't have the answers to cure CF. But I do have hope for the cure. Do you?

8 comments:

Beverly said...

Your post makes me weep. I pray everyday for that cure! I'm going to link to htis post on my blog. I want people to read it.

Jamie Dawn said...

I came here through Beverly's blog. Her precious granddaughter has CF. My hope and prayer is that a cure is found for little Ella and for you and for all those who suffer with CF.
:-) Thanks for this post.

photowannabe said...

I came here from Beverly's blog too. This is such a touching post and I pray that a cure will be found soon. Thanks for making yourself vulnerable and showing us what CF is about.

mjdav said...

Thru the grace of Christ Jesus all believers in Him shall have a new and perfect body one day in heaven. I pray for a cure.
Grandma to Ashley, our little 3yr old CF Angel.

charm said...

Have faith, they are continually working on a Cure for CF. My daughter is currently on a genetic programme in London for CF = she is 27yrs and doing great. She has her ups and downs with all the related illnesses as well but is proud to have been chosen to do this programme which is a 3 year stint, and after that if she is still well enough, to have another shot at the 2nd 3yr stint. I hold thumbs, toes, you name it......and this programme will benefit all Cystics, You just hang in there!!!!

Wendy said...

I too came here through Beverly's blog. I hope and pray a cure will be found soon. There is so much suffering in the world today... Please take care of yourself.

Froggymama said...

My daughter is 2 1/2 and has CF. She was diagnosed at four months. You're a beautiful and intelligent girl and you give me so much hope that my babe has a chance for a healthy and amazing life. I'm also a liberal and a Christian, and I think in 2008, those concepts actually mesh together! Cheers to you. You're beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Great post Talana!I'm praying that a cure will be found soon for CF!
Also,I enjoyed hearing your piano music.Thank you.I listened while I was vesting and doing nebs.
Marcia