Thursday, January 31, 2008

The Devil's Work

This post on Nate's blog really resonated with me.

I've been reading a number of blogs written by parents of kids that have cancer on a daily basis. I routinely come across comments that are to the effect that the cancer is the Devil's work or that it's his presence and God will remove it. This always deeply disturbed me both as a Christian and someone with a fatal illness.

I think of my CF as a challenge from God. To trust in him that I would never have more than I can handle. To use my CF to build strength to share with the world and also be humble enough to accept strength from others. If disease and hardship were the Devil's work, then that's saying I was born with him in me. That's not okay in my mind. To me I only see Satan working where people have abandoned hope... not in the faces of fighters who fight every day for health. Satan is found where hurt is purposeful, not a byproduct of a challenge.

Never once have I thought that CF was from Satan. I know it is in a plan far greater than my understanding, and while it is hard to accept, I work on doing so all the time, I do accept it to the best of my capabilities.

As far as praying for a miraculous healing. I don't. That may sound terrible, but I would never pray for a miracle just for me. If I were to wake up tomorrow without CF it would break my heart, because there would still be thousands out there with CF, suffering, dying, and not breathing free. I pray for God to guide the researchers to find a cure, to speed it along, but eradicating it from just me? That would be selfish, and that goes against my Christian and self values.

I don't know why I am posting this, but I feel that I need to. I want people to know where I am coming from, in all realms. I invite you to share your opinion. I do it with some trepidation, as I know some people will not agree with me. I am okay with that, but if you do, please do not try to change my mind. I would love to hear your views, but know that they probably will not change my ideas, but I also cannot say that they won't, because I am a strong believer in always leaving the possibility for change. Just remember to be respectful :)

Cheers!

3 comments:

Beverly said...

This is an excellent post, Talana. I understand completely where you're coming from. You've expressed so well your thoughts here.

BloggyMom said...

I understand completely... I too have Cystic Fibrosis and I feel the same way.

God bless!!

65redroses said...

I feel the exact same way. I am so glad to be friends with you.

Just so you know.....when you write here, I DON"T KNOW ABOUT IT!!! so for the last few months when i havnt been commenting????

THATS BECAUSE I WASNT READING!!! I always forget you dont use LJ anymore....argh!!
Ok, seeing as how I am up all night tonight with Nate I will read all of the blog I have missed, starting NOW!